Sunday, May 31, 2015

2413 Progress part 2

In the last post I focussed on the interior of 2413, cleaning and decal removal (all that remains is the fleet numbers on the front header), this post is from more recent activities with 2413 - removing the red line.
A few years ago I purchased a box of caramel wheels from a auto paint supplier in Victoria with a view to using these to get the red reflective 3M tape stripe that 2413 and 3069 have, 1930 being in a private livery does not have the red line - indeed it has no vinyls at all!
3092 had a late life refurbishment which involved a repaint into the 2nd version of the Corporate livery that - there is no red line.

I started using the caramel wheel on the ozito electric drill I purchased just for this job, but ummm yeah drill wasn't happy, while it would work, sometimes, other times it would not, maybe I had left the drill too long or it wasn't happy at the end of two extension cords.
Anyway I was soon schooled - use a razor blade!
I soon found out progress was much quicker this way and the next weekend instead of using one of these

I went hardcore - made even lighter work of it all hehehe



Note the strips of red stripe on the ground very satifying


The front was the only spot I persisted with the caramel wheel

 View of the back - the line is still on the panel between the centre door and nearside corner because that one is to be replaced - it's the only spot where the corrosion over the wheel has turned the panel nearly to dust - on the nearside it's there, but still treatable. Also there is a deep scratch along the length of the panel (it would have been hidden by ads) which would need a fair amount of filling so with those two issues - easier to replace
Also the hatch below that panel will need to be rebuilt

The area below the drivers window also will be replace and the electrical hatch remade

A view of the offside

Now time to get high on thinners as I remove all the goo

No comments: